WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The body of a missing 29-year-old swimmer has been found at Lake Afton according to officials with the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office
On Saturday around 1 p.m., deputies responded to Lake Afton for a possible drowning. Deputies arrived and learned Zachariah Shepherd attempted to swim across the lake. He was last seen around 2 a.m.
Officials attempted to locate Shepherd but were not successful. On Sunday at approximately 1:20 p.m., Shepherd was recovered from the lake. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
“The fire department came out,” said Captain Marry Mattingly. “We were notified roughly at 1:45 p.m. that they had a body.”
Although the death of Shepherd is still under investigation, the sheriff’s office said it does not appear to be suspicious.
A family has established a GoFundMe account.
- Rooster with knife kills owner during banned cockfight in India
- Kansas ponders open churches, abortion limits in pandemics
- Kansas House gives first approval to college athlete bill
- COVID-19 relief package moves to Senate, faces GOP opposition
- Virginia School district pulls Dr. Seuss from Read Across America Day citing ‘racial undertones’