WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The body of a missing 29-year-old swimmer has been found at Lake Afton according to officials with the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office
On Saturday around 1 p.m., deputies responded to Lake Afton for a possible drowning. Deputies arrived and learned Zachariah Shepherd attempted to swim across the lake. He was last seen around 2 a.m.
Officials attempted to locate Shepherd but were not successful. On Sunday at approximately 1:20 p.m., Shepherd was recovered from the lake. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
“The fire department came out,” said Captain Marry Mattingly. “We were notified roughly at 1:45 p.m. that they had a body.”
Although the death of Shepherd is still under investigation, the sheriff’s office said it does not appear to be suspicious.
A family has established a GoFundMe account.
- Experts warn about swimming pool dangers as personal pool sales skyrocket
- National security leaders say China is trying to hack U.S. healthcare companies to find COVID-19 vaccine
- ‘Disasters don’t discriminate’: Health officials push to protect communities of color from COVID-19
- Video captures man breaking into Denver garage, home while family sleeps
- 7 months after Kansas man dies in crash, widow gives birth to their baby boy