HUTCHINSON, Kan. (KSNW) – A physical altercation at the Hutchinson Correctional Facility (HCF) – Central Unit Wednesday resulted in property damage and minor injuries.
HCF stated that shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday a physical altercation between two offenders took place in the dining hall. A chemical agent was deployed to help gain control of the situation and the remaining offenders were moved from the dining hall to the East Yard for decontamination. While in the East Yard, an additional physical altercation began between two offenders. At that time, approximately 40 additional offenders in the East Yard began throwing objects at staff members and state property. Windows and glass doors were broken during the disturbance.
All offenders were returned to their cells and the emergency was cleared by 7 p.m.
The HCF – Central Unit has been placed on lockdown until further notice. Two staff members received minor injuries and one offender received non-life threatening injuries and was transported to an area hospital for treatment.
The investigation is ongoing.
The Hutchinson Correctional Facility is Kansas’ second-oldest prison and houses 1,884 men.
- Teachman’s Take: Another round of storms tonight into Thursday, some strong
- Local K-State football player prepares to take the field in the spring
- Colby Public Schools issues warning on possible coronavirus exposure
- Spirit AeroSystems to bring back some employees after layoffs, furloughs
- Pandemic impacting on-campus living at WSU