Fire caused by heat lamp destroys two buildings in Sedgwick Co.

Local

COLWICH, Kan. (KSNW) – A homeowner in Sedgwick County was trying to keep his pets nice and warm, but that courtesy caused a major fire Saturday in Sedgwick County.

The fire destroyed two buildings Saturday morning. No one was injured but the fire chief on site said these types of fires are avoidable. Colwich Fire Chief Brad Banz said these types of fires are common around this time of year.

“Especially in the rural areas where they have animals and livestock,” said Colwich Fire Chief Brad Banz.

The temperatures outside are pretty chilly, so some people often try to compensate by placing heat lamps inside of their barns to keep their animals warm, like the Sedgwick County homeowner who said he was trying to keep his daughter’s kittens nice and cozy.

“Tend to pack the straw around the heat lamp and it gets too close,” explained Chief Banz. “That’s the heat from the heat lamp — ignites the straw.”

Chief Banz said if you are using heat lamps this winter you should make sure to use with caution. But, there is a light at the end of this fiery tunnel.

“The kitties were OK,” said Chief Banz. “As a matter of fact, we’ve seen a couple of them wander back in, looking for their home.”


Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow and like us on Facebook and Twitter.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather