Fireplace and heater safety encouraged by Wichita Fire Department

Local

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – As temperatures get lower, many may be tempted to turn on the heat.

But before you do, check and change the filters in your furnace.

If you will be using the fireplace, check the chimney.

Never plug space heaters into extension cords. Use wall sockets.

“An older electrical system may actually lead to over heating of the conductors of the wires,” said Stu Bevis, Wichita Fire Deparment. “In an attic space, we actually have combustible installation that may have that may catch fire.”

When using space heaters, turn them off when you leave that room but especially when you leave your house.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories