Frozen water pipe leads to Hutchinson house fire

Local
OTS FIRE_1551549039822.png.jpg

A frozen water pipe led to a fire in Hutchinson. It happened around 5 p.m. in the 1500 block of East 4th. 

Crews found heavy smoke showing from the attic and controlled the fire within minutes of arrival. 

Maintenance personnel advised that they were thawing frozen pipes in the bathroom with a heat gun when items in their work area ignited. Everyone escaped the home without injury. 

There was significant damage to the bathroom and attic. 

The Hutchinson Fire Departments reminds residents to never use an open flame or high heat source (blowtorch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove) to thaw frozen pipes. If using an electric hair dryer or portable space heater to thaw pipes, keep away from flammable materials and never leave space heaters unattended. If you are unable to thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories