WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — West 13th Street near McLean has reopened following a gas leak Monday night.
Evergy crews hit the line in the area around 8:30 p.m. Electricity to the area was shut off, and around 15 homes were evacuated as a precaution.
“Unfortunately, where they had to cut it, killed power to this large area, and it was more so because there’s some transformers right above where the leak is. So they wanted to make sure they didn’t have any contact points up there to get anything to ignite that gas,” said Acting Battalion Chief Nicholas Woods, Wichita Fire Department.
The leak was plugged, power was restored, and streets reopened before midnight.