WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — A gas leak in east Wichita on Tuesday night is now under control. Residents that were evacuated from their homes are now able to return.
According to the Wichita Fire Department (WFD), firefighters were notified of a gas line that had been struck by a contractor in the 4000 block of Regents, south of Wichita State University.
“Contractor was augering a hole to set a pole and struck the gas line,” said WFD Battalion Chief Lane Pearman.
Upon arrival, firefighters says they found a 4-inch gas line that had been hit and was leaking a significant amount of gas.
Out of an abundance of caution, the WFD made the decision to evacuate area residents.
“The decision was made to evacuate approximately 50 homes, somewhere around 100 residents or so in the immediate vicinity here, about 500-foot radius around the leak,” Lane said.
Lane says while waiting for the gas service to repair and stop the leak, the WFD teamed up with the Kansas Gas Service to check things.
“We checked door-to-door, homes, and along with Kansas gas service conducted air monitoring with our equipment, their equipment and ensured that there weren’t any explosive levels of natural gas that had either made it through the soil or through open windows or whatnot,” said Lane.
The evacuation order was lifted a couple of hours after it was put in place due to the leak being stopped.