GARDEN CITY, Kan. (KSNW) – Garden City Community College Trustees announced it will release the external review report into the death of student-athlete Braeden Bradforth to his family.
The school says they believe it is important that this information is shared with Braeden’s family in an effort to provide the family with all of the information they have on his passing from a heatstroke.
GCCC hopes the report will answer any questions that Braeden’s family might have. The school says they continue to extend condolences to the Bradforth family.
GCCC says they have taken action to improve protocol and practices in athletics since Aug.1, 2018. Its taken a proactive role in improving processes and procedures across the entire campus since the summer of 2018.
Those changes that directly impact athletics are:
- GCCC Sports Medicine Advisory Team Meeting—August 20, 2018. Topics of discussion included practice and game coverage, cleanliness of athletic training room, CPR and First Aid training, emergency action plans, a checklist of items for football practice, injury reporting, and physicals. The team meets monthly and is comprised of the following key personnel:
- Two team physicians (orthopedic and general practice)
- Three GCCC athletic trainers
- Head Athletic Trainer for St. Catherine Hospital
- GCCC Nurse
- GCCC Director of Athletics
- GCCC VP for Student Services/Assistant Athletic Director
- GCCC President
- Hired a third full-time Athletic Trainer – August 20, 2018.
- All coaching staff will now complete First Aid and CPR training on an annual basis.
- A new strength and conditioning coach was hired to plan and oversee conditioning programs for each athletic team– January 3, 2019.
- The Athletic Department implemented immediate follow-up welfare checks with players that leave the practice.
- The policy has been developed for a protocol in recognition and treatment of heat-related illness.
- Additional Campus Police personnel position was created in order to work towards providing 24/7 coverage.
- Athletic Training Policies and Procedures Manual has been drafted and is in a review.
- Implemented modified practice times due to heat
- Purchased additional ice bathtubs and coordinating tents for use at the stadium during practices and games
- Implemented practice of a thorough review of the health physicals of student-athletes by the team physicians and athletic trainers prior to engaging in any athletically-related activities
- Hired Public Relations Director – September 17, 2018.
- Preliminary conversations about renovation and updates to the athletic training facilities at GCCC have begun
- T.J.’s Forecast: Mild air holds Saturday night into Sunday, clouds thicken
- South Texas tribe vows to fight border wall, sues to preserve tribal cemetery
- Rare red and white cardinals spotted in central Texas
- Florida mom, dad, 17-year-old son all battling cancer ask for prayers, Christmas miracle
- NM mayor calls for immigration reform