This story has been changed to update the information provided by the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office.

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — The suspect in a standoff at a west Wichita hotel on Monday has been identified as 26-year-old Kory Anziana of Wichita. It ended peacefully.

Anziana was arrested, charged, and booked into the Sedgwick County Jail on suspicion of aggravated assault, criminal possession of a firearm, flee and elude, drug charges and three outstanding arrest warrants.

The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office says it all began when deputies tried to pull over a vehicle.

Lt. Ben Blick, sheriff’s office spokesperson, said a deputy saw the driver of a red Lexus commit a traffic violation near Pawnee and Meridian around 1:20 a.m. The deputy tried to pull the car over, but the driver fled in the vehicle. Blick said the chase lasted about six minutes, with top speeds nearing 70 mph.

The chase ended in the parking lot of the Regency Inn, 6125 W. Kellogg Drive when the fleeing vehicle became high-centered on a fence.

“The driver, he jumped out of the vehicle, turned and shot at two of our deputies,” Blick said. “Our deputies returned fire.”

The deputies and Anziana were not injured. Anziana ran into the hotel and into a room where there were five other people he knew.

One of the people in the room was able to communicate with motel staff and eventually law enforcement through a messenger app on his phone. At some point during the standoff, the other people in the room were able to leave safely. The sheriff’s office called for the Wichita SWAT team and negotiators.

Blick said the standoff involved the eastern building on the property. He is not sure how many guests were in that section of the motel.

“They did start making calls and having people evacuate the building,” he said.

Around 8:25 a.m., deputies were able to take Anziana into custody without any further incident. Blick said the Anziana and the other people were being questioned.

Hotel guests who were evacuated had to wait a bit longer before returning to their rooms. Blick said that is because investigators had to process the area where the shooting occurred.

Drivers headed east on Kellogg could see the flashing lights from many patrol cars in the parking lots around the hotel. But the standoff did not affect morning rush hour on Kellogg.