It wasn’t a smoke detector that saved a Hutchinson family from a fire Sunday morning. Instead, it was their dog!

“You saved us,” fire survivor Sarah Potter said to her pup. “You saved us.”

Quite often you hear stories of humans rescuing a furry friend. But this time, a one-year-old dog named Buster returned the favor.

“I’d never knew the dog would save my life,” Potter said. “He literally saved me and my family’s life from a fire.”

Sunday morning, the Potter family was fast asleep until Sarah woke up to the sound of her dog barking and jumping on her around 9:30 in the morning.

“I was napping on the couch and heard him bark,” she said. “At first, I thought it was my boyfriend coming in.”

However, it was Buster’s actions that ended up saving her and her family’s life from a fire.

“I went to the back part of the house, and the whole back end of my house was just on fire.” Potter said. “My daughter’s room was next and that’s when I grabbed her.”

Flames spread fast enough, Potter and her daughter wouldn’t have made it out of the house if Buster didn’t wake them up.

“There were flames all around the ceiling, walls and floor,” she said.

Fire crews arrived on scene just before 10 a.m. where they found Potter and her family toward the street with their dog.

Fire crews told KSN upon arrival, the house was “engulfed with flames.”

They were able to put the fire out, but what’s left for Potter and this holiday season is little to none.

“I’m hurt and sad because I’ve lost everything that’s in that house from fire or smoke damage,” she said. “My daughter doesn’t even got a pair of shoes, and we got about one outfit to wear.”

Potter also said Christmas is going to look a little different than in years past.

“All the Christmas presents…everything we bought for the kids are gone,” she said. “They were in the basement and burned. I worked hard for those gifts.”

Potter said the fire was powerful and took away a lot of things, but thanks to Buster, it didn’t take away her family.

Fire crews are still investigating how the fire started. All they know is that the fire started in the kitchen.

If you’re interested in helping the Potter’s, you can donate to their GoFundMe.