Hutchinson firefighters battled an attic fire Wednesday night. An alert neighbor called the fire in just after 8 p.m. at 420 East Park Street.
Crews arrived and found heavy fire and smoke coming from the attic. Fire crews performed an aggressive interior attack to keep the fire from spreading.
The cause of the fire is being ruled as an improper vent pipe on a wood stove.
No one was home at the time of the fire.
Firefighters said it is the third fire in two days that was caused by wood embers or careless discarding of ashes.
Fire crews will be canvassing the neighborhood today distributing fire safety material.