Hutchinson owner accidentally sets house on fire trying to eliminate a wasp nest


HUTCHINSON, Kan. (KSNW) – A fire in Hutchinson late Sunday was caused by the homeowner trying to eliminate a wasp nest.

According to the Hutchinson Fire Department, the fire happened in the 900 block of W. 2nd Ave. around 10:50 p.m.

Heavy smoke and fire were showing from the rear of the home. Fire crews said they had a difficult time entering the home due to the hoarder-like conditions they encountered. 

Fire Investigators interviewed the homeowner and determined that the homeowner decided to try to burn and smoke out the wasp nests by burning a mattress and ragweed, which then started the home on fire.

The department said the home is uninhabitable. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories