Kansas farmers can start applying for Industrial Hemp Research Program


PJ Sneed has been working to grow hemp in Reno County for five years. 

On Friday, he got one step closer.

He’s one of many farmers who started applying today for a license to participate in the state’s Industrial Hemp Research Program. Farmers can apply for a grower, distributor, processor, or educational institution license. The Kansas Department of Agriculture requires any person who will be involved in the growing, distribution or processing or any part of the research to be included in the license. 

“We’ll just be doing producer and distributor,” said PJ Sneed. 

Sneed plans to start out growing hemp for CBD oil. 

He says the application is very detailed and requires a background check. 

“It’s pretty extensive but for a new crop and commodity that’s coming online I think it needs the regulations there,” said Sneed. 

If all goes as planned, Sneed hopes to start growing Hemp in mid May. 

Farmers have until Friday, Mar. 1 to submit their applications. The application is available on the Kansas Department of Agriculture website here. 

To help farmers navigate the application process, the Kansans for Hemp and Planted Association of Kansas will host a symposium on Feb. 23 at Cottonwood Court in Hutchinson Kansas. For more information click here. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories