‘Life you can’t ever replace it’: Wichita family thankful after surviving fire

Local

A Wichita family is left with just the clothes on their backs after escaping a fire that consumed their house.

Flames ignited just after 4:30 Tuesday morning in the 3500 block of North Park Place.

The home is unlivable from the damages. 

The silver lining is that all six of the Torres family members were able to save themselves. But, this was their first house, full of family memories. 

It is gone, but the family is grateful to still have each other.

“It was really scary because I was getting kind of dizzy,” said Erika Torres.

Her family woke to a terrifying scene. 

“I heard my grandpa yelling my name. He’s like Arlen, something’s burning,” said Arlen Torres, Erika’s daughter.

Arlen Torres quickly took action.

“His bed was on fire and so was the ceiling,” she said. “So, I called my sister and he helped me drag him outside.”

As the house burned, Erika Torres’ husband helped the rest of the family escape, one by one.  

“I started getting freaked out,” she said. “I couldn’t see nothing so my husband was taking all of us out.” 

After a few hours at the hospital, the family returned to see what was left of their home. 

“It’s fairly obvious the home is not livable the way it is and it needs very extensive repairs,” said Alvin Anderson, of the American Red Cross.

Their belongings were destroyed, but they’re thankful for each other. 

“Stuff you can get it replaced,” said Erika Torres. “But life, you can’t ever replace it.”

If you would like to help the family, you can donate to their GoFundMe account. 
 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories