LARNED, Kan. (AP) – Kansas prison officials say a 29-year-old man convicted of drug crimes in Lyon County died at the Larned Correctional Mental Health facility.
Michael Jared Fancher was pronounced dead Sunday afternoon.
An autopsy will be conducted to determine Fancher’s cause of death.
Fancher was convicted in Lyon County in 2018 for possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine. The Kansas Department of Corrections says he was transferred from El Dorado to Larned in February and would have been eligible for parole in July 2024.
He had previous convictions for drug possession and drug sales.
The corrections department and the Kansas Bureau of Investigation are conducting a joint inquiry into Fancher’s death, which is normal protocol in such cases.
- Melania Trump’s error puts Oregon Christmas tree farm in spotlight
- Sheriff: Florida rapper made music, then killed 2 men in recording studio
- GraceMed works through backlog in covid testing
- Hampton Roads native looking toward Tokyo Olympics; focusing on mental game during pandemic
- ‘We will do whatever we have to’: Teams practicing one day ahead of KSHSAA vote to potentially delay winter sports