TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) – A man is dead after being struck by a car while walking down the middle of a Kansas highway.
The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the victim was struck shortly after 4 a.m. Friday on U.S. 40 just east of Topeka. His name has not been released.
Shawnee County Sgt. Scott Wanamaker says authorities were first called with a report that a man was walking in the middle of the road. Minutes later, another call notified authorities that a car had struck the pedestrian.
Police say the man was dead by the time officers arrived.
Wanamaker says the incident does not appear suspicious and there was no indication the driver was impaired.
- Two women tried to spend $1 million bill at Dollar General store
- Watch: Crews rescue sea lion with head stuck in metal loop
- Amber Shultz sworn in as Kansas’ new Department of Labor secretary
- The names of the 8 victims murdered in the Indianapolis FedEx mass shooting
- ‘This violence must end’: Calls for action on Capitol Hill after latest mass shooting