Manhattan pool remains closed after chlorine exposure

Manhattan pool chlorine_415599

MANHATTAN, Kan. (KSNT) – A Manhattan pool remains closed Thursday after a chlorine exposure incident sent multiple people to the hospital.

The City of Manhattan said Northview Pool, located in the 500 block of Griffith Dr., will remain closed while they ensure the health and safety of the staff.

On Wednesday afternoon, first responders arrived at the pool after ten lifeguards were taken to the hospital. Melissa Kirkwood, a spokesperson with Manhattan Parks and Recreation, told KSNT News the lifeguards jumped into the pool during a “heat break.” This is when the public is required to get out of the pool and lifeguards are allowed to get in to cool down.

Manhattan Parks and Recreation said it appears the chlorine was released at that time which is why only the lifeguards and not the public was affected.

Kirkwood said the chlorine release came from an equipment malfunction caused by a lightning strike earlier this month.

The Manhattan Fire Department was able to contain the leak late Wednesday afternoon.

Get breaking news, weather and traffic on the go. Download our News App and our Weather App for your phone and tablet. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories