MULVANE, Kan. (KSNW) – An alert Mulvane patrol officer noticed a fire in a cul-de-sac and discovered a trash can full of used fireworks burning next to a house.

Mulvane Fire Rescue says the officer used a fire extinguisher and garden hose to get the fire out before they arrived.

The department wants to remind residents of proper firework disposal and suggests soaking the fireworks in water for 24 hours before putting them in with other trash.

To help celebrate safely, the Office of the State Fire Marshal offers the following tips for the safe use of fireworks:

  • Always ignite outdoors
  • Have an adult supervise all fireworks activities
  • Have a water supply nearby
  • Light from a solid, flat and stable platform
  • Light only one firework at a time
  • Make sure fireworks debris is cooled off completely before disposing
  • Never re-ignite malfunctioning fireworks
  • Store fireworks in a cool, dry place
  • Use a long-handled lighter

The fire marshal’s office says bottle rockets and M80s are illegal in Kansas and extremely dangerous. The use or sale of these banned fireworks is considered a crime under Kansas law.

It is also illegal in Kansas to shoot fireworks on or under any vehicle, on any public roadway, within 50 feet of a fireworks stand or where fireworks are stored, and at gas stations or any place liquid gas – including propane – is stored.