WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Sedgwick County Emergency Communications non-emergency phone line, 316-290-1011, will be available during the Fourth of July holiday.
- 6:30 p.m., July 1, to 3 a.m., July 2
- 6:30 p.m., July 2, to 3 a.m., July 3
- 6:30 p.m., July 3, to 3 a.m., July 4
- 6:30 p.m., July 4, to 3 a.m., July 5
The line functions as an alternative to 911 and is meant to receive calls for non-emergency nuisances that do not pose a threat to life or property; examples include complaints pertaining to parties, excess noise, fireworks, etc. The non-emergency line was established to prevent an influx of nuisance calls that can block emergency calls from reaching a call taker; the non-emergency line is activated during times of historically high call volumes and as otherwise needed. If someone calls 911 with a non-emergency, he or she will be transferred to the non-emergency line.
In Wichita, fireworks regulations include the following:
- Fireworks that shoot more than six feet in the air are not legal in Wichita
- Fireworks authorized for sale in the city of Wichita are listed on Wichita.gov
- Many items purchased in neighboring communities are not legal and could result in citation issued
- You can set fireworks off in Wichita from June 27 through July 5. Times are from 6 a.m. to midnight
Residents should also be aware of regulations on fireworks sales and discharges in Sedgwick County municipalities and unincorporated areas. The information is available on the Sedgwick County Fire website.