DERBY, Kan. (KSNW) — A girl was killed, and her mother was critically injured in a fiery car crash at a Derby QuikTrip Monday evening.

Derby Police Chief Robert Lee identified the victims as 3-year-old Harper Ivy and 31-year-old Stephanie Corey of Derby.

According to the Wichita Fire Department, at 5:18 p.m., multiple fire departments responded to the QuikTrip near the intersection of Kansas Highway 15 and Meadowlark Boulevard in Derby for a reported vehicle accident with entrapment and fire.

Lee said a vehicle was traveling on Meadowlark when it left the street and went into the QuikTrip parking lot, striking a car that was being filled with gas.

“When the collision occurred between that vehicle that left Meadowlark and the vehicle pumping gas, the gas pumped was knocked over,” Lee said. “There was a significant explosion.”

Upon arrival, firefighters reported a two-vehicle accident with one vehicle fully involved in fire, resting on top of a fuel pump.

Firefighters deployed multiple hose lines in an attempt to extinguish the fire. Other arriving companies tended to one victim who managed to escape.

The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes.

  • Fire at Derby QuikTrip

Ivy was inside the car that was getting gas. She suffered fatal injuries. Corey, who was filling the car with gas, was taken to a local hospital in critical condition, according to the Wichita Fire Department.

Anthony Mockry of Derby was driving by when he saw the fire.

“The accident had just happened, and the flames were just starting to explode,” said Mockry. “Had several secondary explosions. The fire engulfed it so fast it was really unreal. There was probably nothing anybody could have really done. It was just that fast.”

Lee says the fire department is talking to the driver of the vehicle that left Meadowlark and witnesses. He said he does not know if drugs, alcohol, or a medical issue was a factor in the crash.

“We have a team from Sedgwick County coming that will help us with reconstruction of the event, so it’s going to be hours that will be out here tonight and probably days and weeks before we reach a conclusion,” Lee said.

The QuikTrip temporarily closed but reopened at 9:30 p.m. on Monday. The gas pumps remain unavailable until further notice. The company released the following statement on Tuesday:

The safety and well-being of our customers is our highest priority, which is why we are absolutely heartbroken by the tragic accident that took place in Wichita. We are praying for the families of all those involved, and our team is working closely with local officials in their investigation of the crash.

Aisha Jefferson-Smith, QuikTrip Corporate Communications

A small memorial of flowers was placed near the location of the crash on Tuesday.

A GoFundMe has been set up for the family of the victims.