1 person critically injured, others treated following south Wichita apartment fire started by candles


Kingston Cove fire (Courtesy: Tyler Call)

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Four people were injured in an apartment fire early Monday morning.

Flames filled the stairwell of the Kingston Cove apartments as firefighters arrived at the fire around 3 a.m. Monday, near 27th Street South and McLean.

One person was critically injured and taken to an area hospital. Three others were treated at the scene with minor injuries.

A second alarm was called, which brought 45 firefighters from throughout the city to the scene to battle the three-story fire.

A resident living next door to the apartment that caught fire said he was watching a movie when he heard screaming. 

He credits the urgency of fire crews for keeping residents safe.

“He was telling me how there was a fire. I didn’t quite believe him,” said Francisco Espinoza. “I still was sketched out some, so I grabbed my phone, got a hoodie and looked out the balcony. The whole apartment was on fire.”

The cause of the fire is blamed on candles. One apartment resident took his dog out for a walk, and when he came back, his apartment was on fire.

A total of 12 apartments had fire, smoke and water damage.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories