HUTCHINSON, Kan. (KSNW) — The Hutchinson Fire Department (HFD) says an 88-year-old woman died following a fire Tuesday afternoon.
HFD says it got the call of a structure fire in the 4500 block of East G Avenue around 12:15 p.m.
When firefighters arrived, they found a two-and-a-half-story home with heavy smoke coming from the front.
Bystanders told fire crews that someone might be inside the house. HFD went in, found a victim and got them out.
Firefighters and Reno County EMS spent 40 minutes trying to revive the person but were unsuccessful. The victim has been identified as Cora Jackson.
HFD crews continued fighting the fire and got it under control. They found a dog that survived the fire. The dog was doing well and was turned over to the Hutchinson Animal Shelter for care.
The cause is believed to be an electrical cord that overheated and started the couch on fire.