WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – A woman is dead after a house fire in the 1800 block of South Water
The Wichita Fire Department received a call of the fire with someone possibly trapped inside a home just before 9:30 a.m. Monday.
“There is extensive damage to the rear of the house. We were able to confine the fire to that one, main area,” said Wichita Fire Division Chief Darrel Kohls. “But that one main area has extensive damage.”
The first fire crew to arrive saw heavy fire at the back of the home. They got inside the house and started searching for any victims.
“It’s not easy, but our crews are trained for this. They move quickly, perform area searches throughout the house,” said Kohls.
They found one person dead near the location they believe the fire started. They describe the victim as elderly.
Family members gathered on the scene to console each other. One family member tells KSN it was her mother, who is in her 60’s.
Family members asked for privacy as they begin to grieve.
Two other people got out safely. One of the survivors was checked by EMS but refused to be taken to the hospital.
Investigators are not yet releasing what they believe started the fire, but they did say the victim was found near the northeast bedroom. Officials believe that is where the fire started.
The fire caused $60,000 in damage to the contents and structure.
The Wichita Fire Department said it is the first fire death this year.
- “He took full advantage of his chance”: Former Wichita State players react to Isaac Brown’s promotion
- New health order drops curfew in Sedgwick County, bar owners react
- Lady Gaga’s French bulldogs found safe; dog walker expected to recover
- Hawley, Sanders push plans to rescue $15 minimum wage
- “She needs to address this”: Kansans demand Gov. Kelly speak at next unemployment protest