TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), in conjunction with the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT), has issued its list of public health advisories for Kansas lakes due to blue-green algae Thursday.
- Brown State Fishing Lake, Brown County
- Ford State Fishing Lake, Ford County
- Camp Hawk Lake, Harvey County (downgraded from warning 9/11)
- Horsethief Reservoir, Hodgeman County
- Lovewell Reservoir, Jewell County
- Unit G Marais des Cygnes Wildlife Area, Linn County
- Agra Lake, Phillips County
- Yates Center Kids’ Fishing Pond, Woodson County
Advisories Lifted Sept. 11, 2020
- Mission Lake, Brown County
- Gathering Pond, Geary County
- Milford Lake Zone B, Geary County
- Milford Lake Zone C, Geary County
- Delaware River (between Valley Falls and Perry Lake), Jefferson County
- Perry Lake Zone D, Jefferson County
- South Lake, Johnson County
- Webster Reservoir, Rooks County
A watch means that blue-green algae have been detected and a harmful algal bloom is present or likely to develop. People are encouraged to avoid areas of algae accumulation and keep pets and livestock away from the water.
KDHE recommends the following precautions be taken during a watch status:
- Signage will be posted at all public access locations.
- Water may be unsafe for humans/animals.
- Avoid areas of algae accumulation and do not let people/pets eat dried algae or drink contaminated water.
- Swimming, wading, skiing, and jet skiing are discouraged near visible blooms.
- Boating and fishing are safe. However, inhalation of the spray may affect some individuals. Avoid direct contact with water, and wash with clean water after any contact.
- Clean fish well with potable water and eat fillet portion only.
KDHE said Kansans should be aware that blooms are unpredictable. They can develop rapidly and may float around the lake, requiring visitors to exercise their best judgment.
- Heights football player recognized for his helpful actions
- Dairy farm industry could be on the rebound
- Sedgwick County unemployment drops to 10.9 percent
- Herencia Hispana: Mujer Hispana quiera construir relación entre su comunidad y la policía
- Reese’s launches big cups with pretzels because ‘we’re all feeling a little bit salty’ in 2020