Restaurant offers free meals for apartment fire victims

Local

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Cell phone video taken Friday afternoon from inside When Pigs Fly barbeque shows intense flames consuming a west Wichita Apartment complex. 

“We saw pretty quickly that there was a pretty bad fire at the apartments. We were just worried about everybody’s safety,” said Kendra Choy, owner of When Pigs Fly. 

It started around 3 p.m. Friday in building six at the Raintree apartments near Central and Ridge Road and moved to the roof. Wichita Fire Chief Tammy Snow says a cigarette carelessly thrown away on a balcony is what started the fire. 

A fire that spread quickly displacing 28 people, but no one was injured. 

The owners of the restaurant say they had to do something to help as many of their regular customers live at those apartments.

“We see them once or twice a week so you know worried about them,” said Choy. 

The owners say they also used to live at the apartments next door to Raintree. 

“We knew some people over there too, we’ve known that community really for about 12 or 15 years,” said Choy. 

To help out, the restaurant is offering a free family four pack a week until the end of May. 

“I know it’s not a lot but again food is something everybody needs and everybody can use,” said Choy. “The last thing you want to have to do after a fire is worry about cooking because you don’t have any equipment to cook or food to cook with. So, it will be food to feed about three or four people or a couple meals if it’s a single resident.” 

The owners say it’s the least they could do. 

“It will be a way for them to have a hot meal in their stomach until they can kind of get back on their feet,” said Choy. 

For those displaced from their homes, they’ll have to show an ID and proof of residence to get the free meal. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather