WICHITA, Kan. (AP) – A retired city clerk has been ordered to pay more than $150,000 in restitution for embezzling from the Kansas town where she worked for nearly 40 years.
The U.S. attorney’s office says 70-year-old Carole Sue Coker also was sentenced Thursday to three years of federal probation for mail fraud.
Coker, who now lives in Oronogo, Missouri, allegedly kept some money paid to the Kansas town of Caney. She then made it appear as if the books balanced.
Caney is about 120 miles southeast of Wichita.
- Here’s what 2020 did to the list of most popular baby names
- How states are planning for coronavirus vaccine distribution
- On Ronelle’s Radar: Warm front improves temps, another chill late week follows
- 1 dead in Newton house fire
- KBI agents put to the test handling three officer-involved shootings in days