MANHATTAN, Kan. (KSNW) – Authorities have cleared a northeast Kansas elementary school after reports of a possible hostage situation.
Riley County police were called around 1 a.m. to Lee Elementary School after a man called and told them he was inside holding another person hostage. Officers arrived and set up a perimeter in the 700 block of Lee Street.
Police said the man continued to make contact with them and a local Topeka station stating he committed several felony crimes and was holding a person inside.
However, police said their investigation led them to believe he is not local and was fabricating the story to gain notoriety by receiving air time on news stations.
- Valley Center High School to go full remote on Monday
- Battling false information: Where to go for facts before Election Day
- ‘Decisive’ or ‘disastrous’: Fate of Trump’s immigration policies rests on voters
- NHL’s Coyotes dismiss draft pick who bullied Black classmate
- Statewide Silver Alert: Missing 81-year old Kansas City man