Smoke detectors alert family in Christmas Eve house fire

Local

One family is forced out of their home on Christmas Eve in Wichita, but smoke detectors may have saved their lives.

“In this fire, it appears that the smoke detectors got them up, it was still early morning,” said Captain Jose Ocadiz, Wichita Fire Department. “Just for that early warning detection, especially how fast fire spreads now and grows and that early warning detection to have working smoke detectors is very important. Check your smoke alarms today if you haven’t already checked them.”

Ocadiz says the cause of the fire in the early stages of the investigation appears to be lithium ion battery that was on a charger in the lower level of the house.

“The fire spread from that point of origin,” says Ocadiz.

KSN reached out fo talk to the family but have so far not heard from them. The Red Cross was called to help the family.

Ocadiz says the fire cause $75,000 in damage to the contents of the home and $25,000 in damages to the home.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories