MULVANE, Kan. (KSNW) – An Arkansas man is dead after multiple crashes on the Kansas Turnpike. The crashes happened around 1 a.m. involving four vehicles south of Mulvane.
According to the Kansas Highway Patrol, the initial crash occurred when an axle on the Peterbilt truck seized causing the driveshaft to break. A Volvo then struck the truck in the rear.
A 49-year-old passenger in the Volvo, Stanley R. Sims, died, and the driver, 45-year-old Denise M. Sims, was transported to Wesley Medical Center with a serious injury. Both are from Arkansas. The 39-year-old driver in the Peterbilt truck, Regina M. Southerland, and passenger, Blake T. Harris, weren’t injured. They are both from Oklahoma.
After the first crash, the KHP said a Cadillac PC slowed down, and a GMC SUV rear-ended it. A 43-year-old woman, Nancy Pientack from Iowa, driving the SUV was transported to Wesley Medical Center for injuries. The 38-year-old driver of the Cadillac, James Bernard, Jr. from Arkansas, wasn’t injured.
- South Texas tribe vows to fight border wall, sues to preserve tribal cemetery
- Rare red and white cardinals spotted in central Texas
- Florida mom, dad, 17-year-old son all battling cancer ask for prayers, Christmas miracle
- NM mayor calls for immigration reform
- United Industries and its OSHA violations