WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) - Wichita police said a standoff Thursday afternoon in the 400 block of W. Ave. C ended.
Police said a man threatened to harm himself, his wife, and four children. Police said the woman and children were able to escape.
Officer Charley Davidson said in a press briefing Thursday evening that SWAT was called in to assist the department with the standoff. The SWAT team used a negotiator to communicate with the suspect, and during a breakdown of communication, authorities were able to use technology to locate the suspect.
A man was found inside the home after he had inflicted harm upon himself.
Authorities say life-saving measures were used on the man, and he was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
Wichita police are involved in a standoff. It is happening in north Wichita near North High School at 434 N. Ave C.
Wichita police said they are working a disturbance with a weapon call involving a barricaded suspect.
Wichita police officer Charley Davidson said a man was threatening himself, a female and her four children with a handgun at the residence.
Officers were able to safely remove the children and the woman from the home. The man remains inside the home.
A SWAT team has staged at the old Dillons store next to North High.
The area will continue to be shut down while officers investigate.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Wichita homeowner says law enforcement disabled...
- Veterans Village of Wichita provides permanent...
- Pink Heals truck visits Wichitans fighting cancer
- A family affair: 3 generations find success on...
- Republican primary candidates dispute...