The Starlite Drive-In personal property auction is postponed until further notice at the request of the owner.
The auction was scheduled to take place this Tuesday, November 13. A rescheduled date for the sale has not been set.
On Oct. 13, the drive-in, located in the 3900 block of South Hydraulic, closed.
“The McCurdy team shares the community sentiments that it is unfortunate to see another Wichita business close after being a longtime attraction for family entertainment in Wichita,” Megan McCurdy Niedens, COO and auctioneer of McCurdy Auction said. “At this time we have agreed with the owner to postpone the auction, allowing for time and consideration regarding the future of Starlite.”
Last week, Wichita District 3 Council Member James Clendenin and Mayor Jeff Longwell released this statement today on the city’s Facebook page.
“We are extremely disappointed in the potential loss of a longtime, iconic quality of life amenity for our community that means so much to so many. We plead with the seller to put a hold on the selling of any assets of the drive-in this coming Tuesday and invite the city, community, philanthropists and potential investors or developers to the table to formulate a solution that preserves a drive-in in our city.”
The business said that it was “a difficult decision many years in the making with declining attendance and rapidly rising costs of maintenance and technology.”