WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita police said two of their patrol cars were damaged this weekend by impaired drivers.
The crashes both happened on Saturday. In the first incident at 2:15 a.m., a white Ford F-350 was traveling the wrong way on Kellogg near Maize and struck a patrol car. The driver, 58-year-old James Johnson, was arrested on suspicion of DUI and other traffic charges. The officer was treated and released.
The second crash happened around 10:50 p.m. at Hydraulic and I-135. A driver struck the patrol vehicle that was blocking lanes of traffic as well as another vehicle. That driver, identified as 37-year-old Lesster Varela, was also arrested on suspicion of DUI and other traffic related charges.
Police said if you drink, don’t drive. They advise that you call a ride service, such as Uber of Lyft, to pick you up.
- Competitive Drive: ‘Swim To A Wish’ serves as way to pay it back and pay it forward for Campus head swimming coach
- KSHSAA Girls Division I State Wrestling Championship finals results
- Working from home during pandemic affects Kansans in different ways
- The gradual return of events to Wichita
- HB 2154: Aiming to catch drivers speeding by school bus stop signs