WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – A family and their pets narrowly escape what could have been a deadly house fire.

The fire started around 6:15 a.m. Saturday morning in the 1200 block of South Waco.

Emergency crews said when they arrived on scene, they saw smoke and flames billowing out of the home.

There were two people inside the home at the time of the fire. Both were able to escape, along with their pets, unharmed. Investigators say they are still looking for two cats. 

Fire officials say the fire was caused by an electrical short.

The American Red Cross is helping the two people from the home.