Update: Discarded cigarette causes west Wichita apartment fire

Local
Crews_battle_two_alarm_fire_in_west_Wich_0_20180414233219

Wichita Fire Marshal Stuart Bevis says the cause of a fire at an apartment complex in west Wichita Saturday was accidental. He says it started because of a carelessly discarded cigarette on a balcony. 

The fire happened just before 3:30 p.m. in the 8400 block of West Central at the Aspen Park Apartments.

Bevis says there was only one building in the complex that was impacted and residents of all 16 units have been displaced. 

When crews arrived on scene, flames and smoke were coming from the building. As firefighters worked, part of the roof collapsed in forcing them to evacuate and fight the fire from outside. 

There were no injuries in the fire. 

Bevis says the estimated loss is $1.4 million for the structure and $150,000 for contents. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories