WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita Fire Department responded to a high-rise fire call at the Garvey Center in downtown Wichita on Tuesday around 8:30 p.m.
An odor of smoke was reported. Occupants of the building were asked to evacuate.
Fire officials tell KSN no smoke was visible, and investigators discovered hot electrical motors on the fifth floor. The smell traveled up to the 12th floor causing the panic. The fire department declared the scene under control as there was no fire.
- Competitive Drive: Arkansas City football team continues Cinderella run to 4A state title game
- Community members say they’re thankful for the frontline workers this thanksgiving
- Shooting in Wichita leaves one in serious condition, police still investigating
- Teachman’s Take: Cool comfort for Black Friday, weekend storm tracks south
- Giving back to those in need – Wichita churches and organizations hand out thousands of meals