WICHITA, Kan (KSNW) – It’s the name thousands across the city are talking about, even celebrities.
After the name and logo of the new baseball team, Wichita Wind Surge, was revealed during a special ceremony Wednesday, many feel the name fall flat.
Those people include Wichita native, and actress, Kirstie Alley. She even tweeted this on Thursday, calling for a new team name.
More than 10,000 people have signed an online petition calling for a name change.
Before they were called the Wind Surge, the AAA affiliate of the Miami Marlins went by several names including the New Orleans Baby Cakes and Zephyrs.
Before that, they were called the Isotopes, Cannons, Knights and Trappers, the Marlins other minor league teams also have unique names, the Muckdogs, Hammerheads, Jumbo Shrimp and Lumber-kings.
- Competitive Drive: Arkansas City football team continues Cinderella run to 4A state title game
- Community members say they’re thankful for the frontline workers this thanksgiving
- Shooting in Wichita leaves one in serious condition, police still investigating
- Teachman’s Take: Cool comfort for Black Friday, weekend storm tracks south
- Giving back to those in need – Wichita churches and organizations hand out thousands of meals