WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Wichita Fire Department responded to a two-inch gas leak at 12th and Amidon in Riverside in Wichita Monday. The leak was reported around 10:45 a.m.
“A gas line had been hit by some of the construction activity going on in this location,” Battalion Chief Lane Pearman, Wichita Fire Department. “Because of the lack of wind today, that actually caused a little bit of a concern because it didn’t do us much good as in terms of dissipating the gas.”
A few homes within 300 feet of the leak were evacuated for about an hour as a precaution. Black Hills Energy crews worked to get the leak stopped around 12:30 p.m.
Twelfth Street from Perry to Amidon Street was blocked during the leak.