Wichita firefighters rally to support one of their own after he suffers a heart attack on the job


WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – A Wichita firefighter is in the hospital after he suffered a heart attack.

It happened Friday night around 9:15 at a home in the 4300 block of W. Douglas.

Officials said Tim Higgins collapsed while crews were inside. They quickly removed him from the home, but he was not breathing. Crews resuscitated Higgins, and he’s currently in stable condition.

Firefighters are sharing how brave Tim Higgins is as he recovers in the hospital.

“The captain at the station gave a mayday and said we have got a firefighter down and that immediately your heart sinks,” said firefighter Mike Johnson.

“I was actually listening to that fire, and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing,” said firefighter Jeff Seglem.

Mayday, words no firefighter likes to hear, let alone when it’s called for a close friend.

“Everyday, we are together it is always something new and fun,” said Seglem.

Firefighter Jeff Seglem said Tim Higgins typically is his right-hand man, the two of them have been putting out fires together for about seven years.

“There is not a person out there who doesn’t love Tim. He is just that kind of guy; he is just so laid back and non-confrontational. He is just a great guy,” said Seglem.

Seglem said Higgins is a selfless man who is always willing and wanting to help everyone out. It’s something that firefighter Mike Johnson also looks up to.

“Tim is just everything he does comes from his heart,” said Johnson.

Johnson said four years ago, when his father passed away, it was Higgins who lent a hand to make sure Johnson got to say goodbye.

“My dad had literally 24 hours left to go in his life, and I was able to get my family there, and he was able to meet his grandchild,” said Johnson.

Sunday morning Higgins will have heart surgery, but firemen said he is a fighter.

“He will be back. He is that kinda guy,” said Seglem.

“He will be back and stronger than ever,” said Johnson.

Higgin’s surgery is expected to take from six to eight hours Sunday, more than a dozen firefighters came to the hospital to wish him well Saturday morning.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories