WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Steven Speakman, 35, went before a judge Tuesday afternoon and was charged with murder in the 2nd degree, intentional, in the death of Haley Collins, 33, of Bel Aire.
Police said they responded to a fight in a Dillons parking lot in the 2200 block of North Rock Road, Wednesday Aug. 21, around 2 a.m.
Officers located Collins unconscious with critical injuries. He was taken to a hospital and died Sept. 5.
“The investigation revealed an argument ensued between acquaintances, Speakman and Collins, when Speakman physically battered Collins causing his life-threatening injuries,” said Officer Charley Davidson, Wichita Police Department.
A judge set Speakman’s bond at $250,000.
His next court date is Sept. 19.
- Royals’ catcher Cam Gallagher tests positive for COVID-19
- Two arrested in case of missing Kansas girl after body found
- Kansas GDP down, but state fairs better than most of country in first quarter of 2020
- Second stimulus check: GOP senators not ready to commit to direct payments
- Walt Disney World reopens as coronavirus cases surge in Florida