WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Many people are already gearing up for Christmas and that includes the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).
The Little Arkansas Chapter is teaming up with Wreaths Across America to decorate veterans’ graves.
“We remember the ones who have gone. ee honor the ones who are still living and teach the younger generations about what has happened,” said Gayle Williamson, Wreaths Across America Coordinator for the Little Arkansas Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Williamson says they’ve partnered with Pizza Hut locations in Wichita and part of the proceeds from food purchases will go to the Little Arkansas Chapter DAR to help with their efforts.
The group hopes to lay wreaths on 1,500 graves at five area cemeteries. Those cemeteries include Valley Center, Sunnydale, Kechi, Maize Park, and Pleasant Valley. The group is still in need of volunteers.
The cost of each wreath is $15.
The organization will have a formal honorary ceremony at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 14. It will be held at Valley Center Cemetery.
The group will then lay wreaths at each deceased veteran’s grave until they run out.
- Inspired by Rosa Parks, Junetta Everett continues to make a difference in Wichita
- Police shootout in San Diego during FOX 5 live report ends in arrest
- Prep is on! Shockers take on Tulane Green Wave Wednesday
- SCOTUS considers Arizona voting rights case as House lawmakers debate bill expanding access to polls
- Wichita State post 3-0 shutout win at Oral Roberts