Woman injured in fire caused by smoking while on oxygen

Local

The Wichita Fire Department responded to a fire in the 300 block of South Vassar early Monday morning. It happened near Douglas and Hillside around 2:30 a.m.

Fire officials said they received reports of someone being trapped inside. The fire department found a woman inside near the back door

“Another member pulled the victim out. Immediately, aid was rendered. The occupant, patient, is in critical condition and transported by EMS,” said Battalion Chief Matt Bowen, Wichita Fire Department. 

Investigators said they spoke to the victim, who was alert at the hospital. They determined the cause of the fire was smoking while on oxygen. 

Damage is estimated to be around $35,000.

Fire crews said the grandchild of the woman inside escaped. 

ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories