WPD finishes security cam investigation, Police chief talks policy


The investigation into the two Wichita police officers caught moving someone’s security camera is now complete.

According to them, they did it so they wouldn’t be seen while responding to a follow up to a domestic violence call.

Police say the results of the investigation can not be released because of Internal Review Policy.

“I want to make sure our officers are safe and not put in harms way,” says Police Chief Gordon Ramsay.

Ramsay won’t say if the officers who moved the security camera face any disciplinary action.

“Internal matters are private,” he says. “We can’t talk publicly about it.”

Ramsay says if his officers ever feel in danger, they should protect themselves.

“You look at the case in Orlando. Our officers face dangerous, dangerous situations,” explains Ramsay. “There may be that occasion for their safety where they have to move a camera.”

According to the information report, one of the responding officers says the camera caused him quote “concern”, adding, “The occupants would know my exact location on the porch which would make it very easy for an officer to be confronted or attacked even possibly ambushed.”

The officer then goes on to say he moved the camera so the people quote “inside the residence would not see that it was the police there and they would open the door.”

Chief Ramsay says his department is now focused on providing additional training when it comes to situations like this.

“We always work with our law, our department of law, that helps us formulate the standards and in that case that is what is done, and there will be a training bulletin that goes out for everyone to see and it gives them guidelines for them to operate under,” says Ramsay.

Below is the departments official statement on the investigation:

The Wichita Police Department (WPD) has reviewed the actions of two on-duty Officers who went to a residence on a possible domestic violence call on Sun May 20, when one of them adjusted the home surveillance camera.

The internal review is complete. The WPD cannot release details of an internal review due to policy and law.

Following are the events leading to the home visit. At approximately 11 p.m. on Sun. May 20, the Officers responded to a call at St. Francis Hospital involving 41-year-old Brandon Prouse and an adult female who was a possible domestic violence victim.

Hospital staff had removed Brandon’s house arrest anklet in the hospital. A disturbance between Prouse and the female followed. She expressed to hospital staff she was concerned for her safety as the two were leaving together.

Hospital staff called 911. Officers arrived, but both Prouse and the woman could not be located on hospital grounds.

Officers then drove to Prouse’s home in the 1400 block of south Market looking for the female.

Prior to visiting the residence, Officers researched Prouse’s criminal history. The criminal history check revealed past incidents of violence and domestic violence. At Prouse’s home, Officers observed the surveillance camera mounted on a swivel mount next to the front door. Due to safety concerns, one of the Officers turned the camera away from where the Officers were standing on the porch. Officers were unable to contact anyone at the residence and left.

The Officers’ body worn camera systems recorded the visit.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

3 Day Forecast

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories