KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) – Authorities say a California trucker working for a Kansas freight brokerage has been sentenced to federal prison for stealing a load of meat valued at more than $160,000.
The U.S. attorney’s office said in a news release that 37-year-old Gegham Avetisyan of Valley Village, California, was sentenced Monday to 15 months in prison. He pleaded guilty in May to one count of wire fraud.
Prosecutors say Avetisyan contracted with a business in Olathe, Kansas, to deliver the meat to three places in California. He faxed documents to the company using the name Robert Ivanov.
Avetisyan picked up the meat at a packing plant in Omaha but didn’t deliver it.
- ‘I had to act’: Navy sailor honored for tackling man during alleged altercation with police
- Mom makes Facebook plea to save boy from liver failure
- Hidden Valley releasing ranch-filled Xmas stocking
- Website will pay you $3K a month to smoke marijuana
- Suspected meth-making Arkansas professor called ‘Breaking Bad’ a ‘wonderful recruiting tool’