Man loses fingers, eyebrows in fireworks fail

National / World

A man in Florida is recovering after his fingers got blown off in an incident involving fireworks this week. 

The man had to be airlifted to a hospital after the Tuesday incident. 

A friend says doctors froze the man’s fingers and are keeping them at the hospital, hoping to reattach them. 

Graphic accounts from the Merritt Island Garden Apartments where with missing fingers, eyebrows and badly damaged hearing, Ryan Dobard is rushed to the hospital. 

Neighbors say a group of tenants, including Dobard, were playing with fireworks that were modified with a shorter fuse. 

Sherome Cosby says the firework blew up in his friend’s hand while he was standing on the second-story balcony. 

“He tried to throw it I guess and it blew up before he threw it, right in this hand,” said Cosby. 

He then rushed to his friend upstairs and took off his shirt to use as a bandage. 

“So this is what happens when you take fireworks and you modify them and you’re in a neighborhood full of people, you get hurt. My advice for people – don’t modify fireworks, use them safely because you could blow your hand off,” said one man. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories