LITHIA, Fla. (AP) — Investigators say a woman fatally shot one of two intruders during a home invasion near Tampa.
Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Major Frank Losat tells news outlets that two men broke into the home in Lithia Wednesday night and made demands of the residents.
A Hillsborough County Sheriff spokesperson told NBC News, when one of the intruders began pistol whipping the male homeowner, the pregnant woman retrieved her legally owned AR-15 and fired one round. She struck one of the men.
Arriving deputies found one suspect’s body in a nearby ditch. The other fled in a vehicle. Authorities were searching for him early Thursday.
Losat says the male homeowner was taken to a hospital where he’s listed in stable condition.
The Tampa Bay Times reports investigators believe the family was targeted and the home invasion was not random.
- AP source: Chiefs bring back CB Breeland on 1-year deal
- ACLU seeks release of Kansas inmates vulnerable to COVID-19
- Great Bend Farm, Ranch, & Hemp Expo is now underway virtually
- Textron Aviation announces more furloughs
- Wichita honoring frontline workers by lighting up blue