LITHIA, Fla. (AP) — Investigators say a woman fatally shot one of two intruders during a home invasion near Tampa.
Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Major Frank Losat tells news outlets that two men broke into the home in Lithia Wednesday night and made demands of the residents.
A Hillsborough County Sheriff spokesperson told NBC News, when one of the intruders began pistol whipping the male homeowner, the pregnant woman retrieved her legally owned AR-15 and fired one round. She struck one of the men.
Arriving deputies found one suspect’s body in a nearby ditch. The other fled in a vehicle. Authorities were searching for him early Thursday.
Losat says the male homeowner was taken to a hospital where he’s listed in stable condition.
The Tampa Bay Times reports investigators believe the family was targeted and the home invasion was not random.
- Singer Pink says she had COVID-19, gives $1M to relief funds
- Virus cluster found at Kansas rehabilitation center
- Sedgwick County coronavirus cases at 101
- USD 373 changes meal pick up location
- Police issue warrant for Ark City shooting suspect