SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- ‘It’s the right thing to do’: People out cleaning up streets after weekend protests
- Tropical Storm Cristobal likely to form in Gulf of Mexico as hurricane season officially begins
- Family of man killed in police beanbag shooting to get $3.5M
- University of Kansas sued over refunds related to COVID-19
- Kansas setting record for mail ballot requests amid pandemic