WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Wichita Fire Department Chief Tammy Snow confirmed Thursday that four firefighters and one structure truck will be heading to Colorado to assist with the East Troublesome fire. This is southwest of Estes Park, Colorado.
Chief Snow said firefighters will be assigned to help with structure fires, not fighting the forest fire. Chief Snow said they are scheduled to be there for 72 hours.
“We received a phone call from the Kansas State Forest Service, they received a phone call from the Colorado folks requesting some manpower to assist with the wildfires occurring there in their state,” said Kelly Ross, WFD Batallion Chief. “So we sent a Type One engine which is a typical fire engine that you see in around the city streets — the big long trucks with the hose and we sent a Type One with four personnel.”
The fire is currently over 125,000 acres in size, and only five-percent has been contained.
- Shooting in Wichita leaves one in serious condition, police still investigating
- Teachman’s Take: Cool comfort for Black Friday, weekend storm tracks south
- Giving back to those in need – Wichita churches and organizations hand out thousands of meals
- Shooting leaves one critically injured in Wichita
- One dead, multiple others injured following crash in Morton County