Wisconsin woman dies from infection from dog lick

National / World

A Wisconsin woman died after she got an infection. 

Doctors believe it was from a bacteria transferred to her when her puppy licked her. 

“You could get struck by lightning 4 times and live, win the lottery twice. That’s how rare this is supposed to be,” said Dan Larson.

Her husband, Dan, is still in shock. He thought she had the flu. 

“General antibiotics that they put her on didn’t do anything,” said Larson.

Within two days at Wheaton Franciscan in Franklin, Sharon was dead, at 58 years old.

“I feel like I got robbed,” said Larson. “Lost my right arm. My best friend.”

Doctors told Dan she tested positive for capnositopefaga. They say the bacteria, found in the saliva of most dogs, cats, even some humans in rarely problematic almost never deadly. But when certain people come in contact with it it can have devastating consequences.

“Especially I had no knowledge,” said Steven Larson, Sharon’s son. “There’s no tracking on it.”

Sharon’s son wants more answers, since there is no real tracking of how many cases there have been. And he has a message for others. 

 “To always be more cautious,” said Steven. “People think nothing of getting a simple dog bite. But even something so simple can go wrong.”

This isn’t the first case of an infection from dog saliva this year in Wisconsin, another man lost his hands and legs, sot that doctors could save his life.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Download the KSN News App and stay up-to-date wherever you are. You can even watch KSN News live for free!
Click here to get the app
Get it in the App store
Get it in the Google Play store

KSN Storm Track 3 Weather

Trending Stories