WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office said a deputy was charged with one count of mistreatment of a confined person.
The deputy, identified by Sheriff Jeff Easter as 47-year-old Matthew H. Stineman, has been employed by the sheriff’s office for 13 years.
The sheriff said the investigation in the incident happened on Jan. 30, 2020 and occurred in a holding cell. The deputy was alleged to have pushed an inmate into a wall and struck the inmate on the face with an open hand.
The deputy has been placed on restricted duty.
Detectives of the Wichita Police Department conducted the investigation.
- T.J.’s Forecast: Hot start to the final weekend of September
- Trump picks conservative Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court
- Kansas State stuns No. 3 Oklahoma 38-35
- Kansas advocates propose agency to track foster care system
- DNA test results confirm identity of body found as missing Wichita man